In today’s time, we are required to pay GST/HST for every item as GST is a type of tax. You have to register for Goods and Services Tax (GST). You can register it online via official website of Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). For this you have to fill Canada GST Registration 2023 and you can fill this form online. The applicant has to provide correct information in form. For Canada GST registration 2023 you will also have to upload some documents.
Every business in Canada with gross revenues greater than CAD 30,000 have to Get a GST Number in Canada, according to the CRA, the national taxing agency. GST is one of the biggest reforms in the indirect tax system and it has been brought to increase economic development in Canada. GST i.e. Good and Services Tax is a tax system where a single tax is levied on the supply of goods and services. GST/HST is one of the biggest reforms in the indirect tax system. Now i will tell you the process on How to Get a GST Number in Canada and Steps for GST Registration in Canada.
What is Canadian GST/HST?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provide a businesses with a unique tax identification number known as a goods and services tax number. It is also referred to as a business number (BN) since it serves as a unique identifier for any further business transactions your company has with the CRA, in addition to being used to collect, report, and remit GST and harmonized sales tax (HST). If you make taxable sales on goods and services/HST used in the course of your business, leases, or other supplies in Canada connected to running your business, you must register for a GST/HST account.
GST/HST- Mandatory vs. Exempt Business Requirements
In Canada, the majority of businesses must have a GST number. In Canada, all businesses must register for GST/HST, with the exception of small suppliers as they do not need to apply for a GST/HST number and are not subject to registration requirements. After a four-quarter period where one’s total international sales reach CAD 30,000 or more, one is no longer considered a small supplier. Charities and public concerns are subject to a similar idea, but with a CAD 250,000 minimum threshold.
How to Register GST/HST Account in Canada?
In Canada, getting a GST or HST number is easy and if you have registered for the CRA’s online My Business service, you can complete it online or over the phone. However, CRA will need you to provide some information and make decisions up front regardless of how you register.
You can print Form RC1 and mail it to your nearest tax service office or tax centre. You can also Get a GST Number in Canada by calling on1-800-959-5525. Before the Register GST/HST Account in Canada you must have the following things with you.
- Personal details, such as your SIN, full name, date of birth, and postal code
- Business name, number and description
- Personal and email address
- GST taxable supply amounts
- Fiscal year-end
- Reporting period and Income
Charging GST in Canada and Rate
It is your responsibility as a registered GST/HST registrant to charge GST/HST on your taxable supplies and services. The province or territory, where the supply is made will determine the rate you charge. Presently, the rates are:
- 5% (GST/HST) in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and Yukon
- 13% (GST/HST) in Ontario
- 15% (GST/HST) in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island
Process to Collect GST/HST in in Canada
You charge your customers GST/HST on the taxable goods and services you provide them once your GST/HST registration is complete and you have your GST number. Depending on the province where your business is located, the kind of goods or services you offer, and, if the goods are being shipped, their destination, you may charge and collect only Goods and Services Tax or GST and HST.
GST/HST Account- Benefits
- The first of the GST benefits was to eliminate the cascading effect from Canada, and as you know, GST is a comprehensive indirect tax and it was designed to bring indirect taxation under one umbrella. The introduction of GST removed the previous cascading effect of the tax
- The entire process of registering and filing returns under GST has been done online. This has made tax compliance very easy and simple. Unlike the old taxing system where most of the processes were completed physically, the GST system allows its taxpayers to do the same through its online. Also, various software applications have been made available for taxpayers to complete these processes.
- GST/HST is an indirect tax that has made Canada a unified common market, which is levied only on value addition at each stage. The introduction of Goods and Services Tax (GST) has brought many benefits. Since its introduction, taxpayers in Canada have seen the pros and cons of GST.